e-cube

this blog is a chronicle of me and my 2 daughters - elise and eliza. why did i choose "e-cube"? cos their father's name is exxxx! so exxxx, elise and eliza = e-cube! so clever! it is about my experience .... as a father, guardian, counsellor to my girls. their mommy is the most beautiful angel with strength of heart and character to boot...but this is about ME - the daddy!

Name:
Location: Singapore

Thursday, December 29, 2005

A Promise is a Promise

in nomine patri; et filii; et spiritui sancto amen

elise received a barbie laptop from the wife's boss and it required 4 x "C" size batteries. she had opened her present on Christmas day and i had told her i will get her the batteries when i go to work.

she asked me on tuesday night and i said i had forgotted to buy it and i will get it on wed.... and guess what? i promptly forgot about it and she asked me "daddy, did you buy the batteries for me?" to which i replied "sorry, daddy forgot again but i promise that i will buy it for you tomorrow"

so on thursday, once i woke up, even before i showered and changed, i headed straight to the barbie laptop to confirm the battery size and number required to power it up.

i did buy the batteries and while in the car on the way back home...

elise: "daddy, did you buy the batteries?"
me: "what do you think?"
elise: "YES!"
me: "how do you know? how sure are you that i bought the batteries?"
elise: "because last night you promised to buy it for me and because you promised, i know you will buy it for me!"

after elise said this, i was humbled.....and thoughts of the scene from "forrest gump" where forrest gump made loads of money from shrimping and then dividing bubba's share (even lieutenant dan said he was nuts to give bubba's mother so much $$$), gave it to his (bubba's) mother.... and forrest gump had said "a promise is a promise". [if you do not know what i am talking about, go see the show!]

also, my thoughts turned to God ... .. and the Words of the Lord came flooding to me "..would you,sinful as you are, give a scorpion to your children if they ask for bread..... think how much the Father, who is Holy, would give to His children what they ask...."

that is why i firmly believe that children are gifts from God.... and that God uses them to teach us parents His word.

if elise had no doubt that i would buy her the batteries because i promised her, imagine the promises God made to me as my loving Father.....

in nomine patri; et filii; et spiritui sancto amen

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got your blog link from Terence's blog. :)

What struck me was the simple faith that your child has in you - something that we all can learn from her!

Gerry

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home